Senior Research Scientist
The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) was established on 1 January 2019 to ensure Victoria's strong economic performance by growing industries and regions. Here at DJPR, we're making sure Victoria's economy benefits all Victorians by creating more jobs for more people, building thriving places and regions and nurturing inclusive communities.
Our work supports six ministers, spans 15 portfolios and operates across metropolitan, regional and international offices. We also oversee various public entities, including public corporations, regulatory authorities and specialist boards.
The Department strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The Department offers reasonable adjustments for applicants with disabilities on request.
SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
- $98,396 – $119,052 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed Term, 3 years
- Usual hours of work: Full Time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Ellinbank (flexibility may be available)
With a focus on research projects within the DairyFeedbase program that aim to improve the profitability of pasture-based dairy systems, the Senior Research Scientist will lead and/or contribute to the design and implementation of research project tasks, co-lead reporting on the research, both internally and to external stakeholders, and prepare scientific publications and other written reports. The role involves input into other associated dairy and livestock research projects and activities.
- A PhD in GIS, computer science, or machine learning and/or the application of sensor technologies or related discipline.
- Research experience in GIS, computer science, or machine learning and/or the application of sensor technologies in agricultural systems, preferably with at least 2-3 years post-doctoral research and relevant work experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the principles, application and interpretation of non-destructive sensor technologies (e.g. hyperspectral/multispectral imaging, spectroradiometry, satellite imagery, LiDAR) in agricultural production systems.
- Experience of effective participation in research project teams, leadership of research projects and the ability to effectively supervise staff and resolve issues that arise; experience of working with minimal supervision and displaying high levels of initiative, which includes a record of attracting funding for relevant research.
- A track record of publication of scientific work in science journals and at science conferences, and the ability to effectively present results of research to a range of audiences including at industry fora.
- Verbal and oral communication skills, including the ability to develop and maintain relationships with peers, key clients and media.
Ellinbank is located a short distance south of the regional city of Warragul and just over 100 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, the state’s capital. Good public transport services exist, and diverse sporting and recreational facilities are available. Set in the foothills of the Strzelecki ranges, this is an area of great natural beauty, as well as being home to some of Victoria's richest agricultural land and a major dairy area.
The position of Senior Research Scientist is part of the Agriculture Victoria Research branch of the Agriculture Victoria group. Agriculture Victoria works with industry and community stakeholders to support the agriculture, food and fibre sector to become more globally competitive, innovative and resilient.
For a confidential discussion, please call Elizabeth Morse-McNabb, Senior Research Scientist on 0408 529 685.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a National Police Records Check prior to commencing employment with the Department.
To be eligible for this position you must hold the mandatory qualification outlined in the position description.
How to Apply
Please go to www.careers.vic.gov.au and search on 022490. As part of the application process, you will need to provide a copy of your resume and a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria outlined in the position description.
Applications close at midnight on 25 October 2020.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: