Transport Engineer/officer - 008ep
Regional Roads Victoria
Roads are the lifeblood of our regional communities; they connect people to their places of work, schools, shops and businesses, friends and family. For many country Victorians, their way of life, health and livelihood relies on roads that work. We know that Victoria’s regional roads need work, and that’s why Regional Roads Victoria (RRV) has been created.
RRV is a division of the Department of Transport focused on providing safer and better roads that support regional communities’ growth and prosperity now and in the future. With a $941m investment, more than 1,500kms of road will be rebuilt, and resurfaced. In addition to delivering a major maintenance package, RRV will drive improvements in safety, support tourism and freight, and focus on future planning and economic prosperity.
RRV's Eastern Region Planning team is responsible for a variety of tasks such as Statutory Planning, Project Planning, Road Safety and Traffic Engineering to ensure we continue to provide safer and more efficient transport networks for our communities across Gippsland and working Towards Zero.
Only two hours from Melbourne, Gippsland has a relaxed community feel and boasts many natural attractions like beaches, national parks, lakes and snowfields. With a range of primary/ secondary school options, sporting clubs and diverse community, Gippsland is an ideal location to live, work and visit.
This is an exciting ongoing full-time job opportunity to join the high performing Eastern Region Planning team based in Traralgon.
As the Transport Engineer/Officer, you will be involved in a range of activities including:
- traffic management and road safety advice
- transport planning for network and road safety improvements
- stakeholder and public engagement
- project management
- external work approvals
It is intended that the successful candidate will be given the opportunity to work within the other Eastern Region Planning teams, subject to their capabilities, business and operational requirements.
We are looking for:
- A highly motivated individual with a drive to get things done and able to successfully undertake multiple tasks with competing prioritises
- Someone who enjoys being part of a small team with a variety of diverse experiences
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good customer focus to engage with stakeholders and the community on a variety of projects/needs
- An understanding of transport planning, road safety and traffic engineering standards and guidelines
- Someone who has a passion for learning new things and developing their capabilities
The successful applicant will be:
- Liaising with and influencing internal and external stakeholders and customers to achieve successful outcomes
- Exercising professional independent judgement on moderate complex matters relating to traffic engineering and management, and road safety
- Promoting a culture of customer focus and innovation to ensure the optimal operation and safety of the road network to cater for all road users
- Working within a fast-paced environment involving a wide variety of tasks where attention to detail and learning new systems and processes quickly is critical
To attract, retain and develop talented people, we provide genuine flexibility, a culture that supports people to be their best and on top of that - great opportunities for career development. At Department of Transport, we embrace diversity and inclusion and are proud our workforce reflects the community we serve.
• Competitive salary and benefits
• Supportive, diverse and inclusive work environment
• Opportunities for professional and personal development
• Flexible working arrangements and family friendly practices
Recruitment agencies – please note the Department of Transport does not accept resumes from third parties and will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
The Department of Transport (DoT) is required to evidence your right to work in Australia and may ask for your consent to check records maintained by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection as well as records maintained by Victoria Police and the DoT as part of the selection process. Information provided to DoT will be treated in the strictest confidence.
KA 1. Provide advice and apply the relevant sections of the Road Management and Road Safety Acts, Regulations and Codes in relation to road safety, traffic engineering and transport planning for the benefit of the community and external stakeholders
KA 2. Provide advice to traffic management planning and transport route studies initiated by internal and external stakeholders
KA 3. Exercise professional independent and technical judgement to develop solutions to moderately complex matters relating to road safety, traffic engineering, road design and third-party external works, while promoting a culture of innovation
KA 4. Undertake risk-based surveillance activities that ensure traffic management and third-party external works are being undertaken in accordance with approved Traffic Management Plans including traffic guidance schemes, design documentation, timeframes and quality standards
KA 5. Co-ordinate the development and delivery of priority road safety projects in accordance with the relevant road safety standards and guidelines, and Department of Transport procurement systems
KA 6. Under broad supervision, perform the duty of meeting the required response and delivery dates for assigned tasks in accordance with Department of Transport nominated timeframes
KC 1. Ability to understand and apply appropriate Acts, Standards, Regulations, Codes and Guidelines for road safety, traffic engineering and transport planning activities
KC 2. Ability to effectively communicate, negotiate and influence stakeholders and the community to achieve successful project outcomes
KC 3. Provide sound written and verbal advice to key internal and external stakeholders including responses to priority correspondence and operational commitments, and preparation of reports
KC 4. Undertake field surveillance and exercise professional judgement to coordinate risk-based surveillance of traffic management and third party works in accordance with appropriate policies and guidelines
KC 5. Effectively contribute to and monitor work scheduling processes that are flexible enough to be able to meet changing business needs
KC 6. Exercise professional judgment to anticipate and assess potential risks and develop mitigating solutions
PR 1. Tertiary Civil Engineering qualifications is desirable or experience relevant to the capabilities of the role
Job Engineering & Technical
Primary Location Rural-Eastern-TRARALGON
Employee Status Ongoing
Closing Date 29/8/2019, 11:59:00 PM
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: